The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Shepherds Friendly Society will be taking place on Tuesday 8th July 2014 at 6.30pm at our head office in Cheadle, just outside Manchester.
The AGM, which is held every year by the Society, welcomes all their members to take part in the meeting by allowing them to cast a vote on how the society operates as a business. After all, Shepherds Friendly does belong to its members and so it’s only right that their members get the option to join in and help put in place any directions the society takes.
What is an AGM?
An Annual General Meeting or as it’s commonly abbreviated ‘AGM’ is a meeting, which is required by law, to be held on a yearly basis by official bodies and associations. The purpose of the AGM is to adhere to legal requirements and it includes actions such as:
- The presentation of approved annual accounts
- The election of directors
- The appointment of auditors
Who can attend the AGM?
To be eligible to vote at a Shepherds Friendly AGM meeting you must be:
- The named person on a plan with the Shepherds Friendly Society
- Aged 18 years or older
Each year before the AGM we send you an AGM pack and this goes through all the details you need on how to use your vote. The packs are sent out approximately three weeks before the meeting informing our members of:
- The AGM date
- The venue
- Instructions on how to vote
- An annual review usually written by the Chariman
- Summary of financial information for the previous financial year
How can I use my vote?
Voting in an AGM is really simple. At Shepherds Friendly you can etiher do this in person by attending the AGM, on the Shepherds’ website via a secure online voting facility or by sending someone you choose to vote on your behalf. This person is called a ‘Proxy vote’,
What happens at an AGM?
The AGM is conducted by the Chairman of the society, Joanne Hindle. There isn’t an official set of guidleines as to what should take place at an AGM but at Shepherds Friendly we normally go through the following things:
- A general welcome to all those that have attended
- Apologies are offered for those that couldn’t attend
- A review of the minutes from the previous AGM are examined and agreed
- The Chairman offers a summary of the year including achievements, future aims and objectives of the group
- A report from auditors is offered; giving details of the society’s funds and investments over the year
- Election or re-election of committee members
- Questions, discussion points or motions raised by members who attend the AGM
So, What next?
Well, you should have received your AGM pack by now, if you haven’t then you should get in touch with us. We recommend that you have a good read through it and if you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call on 0161 428 1212.
This year, for the first year, Shepherds Friendly members can vote online by visiting www.shepherds.co.uk/agmvote. It’s really straightforward; on the top right-hand side of your 2014 AGM letter you will find a blue box, which contains your personal voting code. This is an eight digit figure that comprises of letters and numbers. Simply enter this code correctly into the online voting log in page and follow the instructions carefully.
Alternatively you can attend the meeting in person, which means you will need to return ‘Part 1’ of your AGM pack in the FREEPOST envelope provided, or if you prefer you can complete the Proxy Voting Form and return this along with ‘Part 2’. You have until Monday 30th June to place your vote however, in the meantime should you have any questions about voting in our AGM, please call 0161 428 1212.